Saturday, May 24, 2008

Be Driven

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


My 2 year old son is in the stage of conversation that he asks "Why?" to everything.

As much as that is cute and annoying at the same time, it really is a good question.

To be Driven according to Webster is to be propelled forward or motivated by something. That, in essence, is the "Why" we do what we do.

For example, when I ask CEO's, or really anyone, who have a goal in mind. It is often; to reduce cost, make more money, reduce turnover, increase customer loyalty, maybe run a marathon, or lose weight. But the better question my son knows well, "Why?"

Why, or so what if you did make more money?
What would it really mean for you if you increase the bottom line?
Why put all that work into losing weight or running a marathon?

At the end of the day all things that really make an impact on us, our family, and the world have to "Be Driven" by something greater than simply making money, losing weight, or reducing turnover. I like to see those things happen more than most, but unless we are motivated and propelled by real meaning and passion, we will never reach our full potential to leave a lasting impact on the world and the next generation. Dare I say we will never reach our full potential to make money either.

At the beginning of each day we must "Be Driven" but what really matters.
What drives you?

- Jon Bohm

1 comment:

derp said...

Oh man... I really am a 2 year old. I find myself always asking the 'why' questions, but your post just made me think that maybe I'm asking the wrong 'whys.'

So what if you did make more money?
What would it really mean for you if you increase the bottom line?
Why put all that work into losing weight or running a marathon?


The spirit of these questions made me consider my motivation. For myself, I've found that getting motivated is the hard part, so when I eventually do find impetus, my greatest fear is stifling the energy, thus often overlooking the obvious outcome/effect/repercussion of my action. Asking the right 'whys' early on could really help me be sure that I'm on the right track in those rare moments of motivated action.

As painful as it would be, I would love to have you ask me some hard questions specific to my oddball profession.

Thanks, Jon!